Monday 21 March 2011

Part Two: Day Five: What Time Is It Mr. Wolf?

From the time my  12 year old daughter Erin wakes up, until dinner time, she is asking me, "What are we having for dinner ?" 

Starting late last week, I have only stocked our family fridge and cupboards with healthy choices.  The days of take-out deli chicken wings, order in pizza and meat/cheese laden lasagna suppers are over.

We no longer have hot apple crumble and Hagen Daz ice cream nor red velvet cheesecake for desert.

These days it's salmon and dill, lentils and rice and every vegetable in mother earth's garden.  My pre-teen is missing the good old days. Hearing that I am preparing and serving fish every other meal seems less than enticing.

It will take some time to get everyone on board.  Tastebuds need to go through withdrawal too!

What time is it Mr. Wolf? 

DINNER TIME!!

On a different note, at the end of my work day when the table was cleared and the supper dishes stacked in the drying rack, I checked out my pedometer.  I did over 12,000 steps between standing and walking in my classroom and school, running errands, meal and clean-up at the end of the day. 

I read great book a few months ago, called "Live  A Little: Breaking the Rules Won't Break Your Health: Eat a Brownie * Blow Off Your Run * Stay Up Late *Stop Worrying About Your Health", by Susan Love and Alice Domar. 

There is a quiz in the book to ascertain whether or not you have a fitness level needed for basic health.  Can you walk a mile in twenty minutes?  Can you run a mile without stopping even if you do so slowly?  Can you stand on one foot for thirty seconds?  Can you sit in a chair and then stand up without using your arms?  Can you do your weekly grocery shop, and carry a heavy bag in each hand?  If you answered yes to every question-even the one-mile run-according to the authors you have basic levels of cardiovascular fitness, strength and balance. 


Research has looked at the physical activity of front-line workers such as nurses who are on their feet all day and they underestimate their activity levels. 

Although 10,000 steps is my daily goal, inadvertently I am achieving the amount by the end of my day as a mom juggling work and family responsibilities.  During the work week, I will focus more on my dietary choices.  Today on the Dr. Oz show, one of the topics included a dietitian who spoke about the importance of eating every three hours. Ensuring that during those food breaks, all four food groups are covered with healthy options. De-stressing at the end of the day suggestions included using lemon balm, passion flower and chamomile herbs.  There are some great non-caffeinated herbal teas with these ingredients that I have been enjoying for years including Sleepy-time Tea by Celsesstial Seasonings.

Everyone's health make over profile is unique and different according to his or her characteristics.  There might be someone who eats healthy but has a more sedentary job.  If one has a chronic health condition, illness or other health needs, he or she might have to fine tune his or her diet or fitness choices.  With any advice, it's best not to pigeon hole.

One size does not fit all!

No comments:

Post a Comment