Friday 18 March 2011

Day Two: Tips for me and "YOU"

Yesterday  Dr. Oz spoke of the dangers of combo drugs that are used to lose weight. Anti-seizure medications that cause serious side effects that are purportedly being prescribed as weight loss options.  Dr. Oz was not overly supportive but near the end of his program, announced (paraphrased), "I know that phones will be ringing off the hook as many viewers will be calling their doctors to ask about these new drugs.  It is a lot easier to take a pill than the hard work and discipline of diet and exercise ". 

My first tip is what is in his Diet book and "YOU: Staying Young Workout" DVD: Walk thirty minutes a day. Aim for 10,000 steps and do stretches and a strength training program two to three times a week.

I bought the Dr. Oz workout DVD in 2008. I have played the DVD twice. My excuse has been "I don't have the time".  I realized though today that "we" all can "find" the time when it comes to working out.

For example, today I went and had my snow tires removed and my oil changed on my van.  I sat reading the newspaper, watching the free streamed TSN on TV and people-watched for an hour and a half on a very comfortable leather chair.   During the time my car was serviced, I "could" and should have done my 10,000 steps for the day. About 25 minutes walking distance was a mall (with a Starbucks). 

Solace is found on page 201 of his book "YOU on a Diet" where he and co-author Michael Roizen write, "..know that it's OK to make mistakes...as long as you quickly get back on the right road...".

Second tip on his show last night had to do with beauty. Use mascara on your roots in between colour touch ups when you see the grey coming in to prevent destroying your mane with excessive dying. ( I have some grey hair.)  I went back to my natural colour this winter and this tip might come in useful in the years to come. 

Lastly, on the Real Age website of Dr. Oz, one of his tips is to pack portion size snacks in baggies to control serving size. 

I have served up three tips that are easy to put into use for today! 

For the rest of the day, I am going to think of what to add to jazz up "Rice and Lentils Espana" which serve as the main dish in my family tonight.  Maybe roasted red peppers or sun-dried tomatoes and fresh herbs?

Now to do my thirty minute walk basking in the spring like weather of Toronto!

No comments:

Post a Comment