Wednesday 23 March 2011

Day Seven: Prevention Vs. Intervention


What works better?  Prevention or intervention?  Yesterday Dr. Oz had a 700 lb woman on his TV program.  Are we motivated to make long-lasting changes in our own lives when we see such extreme cases?

I vote "no".   When we see someone who is an exceptional case e.g., 100 lbs overweight, it's human nature to dismiss these examples, "I don't have anything to worry about. At least I am "not" as bad as she is".  It's part of human nature to compare ourselves. Mammalian self-preservation.

What or who motivates us?  Ordinary, everyday men and women are on my ballot.  There are those who have practiced preventative health measures their whole lives.  My friend's 87 year-old mom is an example. She still drives, grocery shops for herself, looks after her 90 year old husband and climbs up on stepstools to dust off shelves and the top of her refrigerator.  At a recent evening get-together I hosted, she came over exuding stamina standing and chatting with guests for hours until our New Year's Eve countdown.  She keeps busy and active, eats well, doesn't smoke nor drink. 
My fan club includes friends, family, strangers and acquaintances. Heart attack or cancer survivorsand those who have chronic illnesses.   Ones who have received unsettling test results.   They walk the track at seven a.m. or p.m. at my local highschool.  Combing the neighbourhood streets with a water bottle attached around a waist fanny back.  Cutting out toxins from their diet.

Makeover heroes are the people on the street. The ones we don't necessarily see on television.

If they can do it, so can I. So can you.

1 comment:

  1. You're right, Maija! One of my mom's friends is 74, she prepares three daily meals for a big family (six people), vacuums, cleans the house, and every evening she goes for at least one hour walk in the neighborhood.
    If she can do it, so can I. So can you.

    ReplyDelete