Friday 22 April 2011

Day 36: How Much Is Your Emotional Account Worth?


Building or depleting your emotional bank account?

One's emotional bank account in life works in the reverse order from your money account. The more deposits you make doing good deeds for others, the more your own emotional account grows in equity.

Easter for some of us is a a three or four day long weekend. For those of us who are Christians, or if we are affiliated with other religious denominations, the first long weekend in Spring has elements of reawakening, rebirth and rejuvenation. 

On Day 35 Dr. Oz shared some stories about love and devotion from his medical practice and his own family life.  What I found admirable is that he stated to his daughters, that the best thing he had ever done was marry their mother.  Testimonial love, becoming more rare these days.

My parents will be celebrating their 46th wedding anniversary next week.  They married at age 25 after meeting at a church confirmation party several years prior.  A year later, my twin brother and I were born.  They both share similar backgrounds, having come from Latvia to Canada in the late 1950's.  Much of their childhood was spent in a Red Cross refugee camp in Germany and later both sets of my grandparents and my parents lived in various parts of France, before being sponsored to come to Canada.

My brother and I were raised to be grateful for our opportunities.  As a first generation Canadian, I can attest that despite the importance of being financially secure, I also learned  that one's emotional bank account is equally if not more important.  My grandparents left behind their family businesses, homesteads and assets to start a new life with their children.  All they had was each other to rely on. 

Appreciatively, I grew up observing my parents look after my grandparents health, home repairs and well-being so that they were able to live independently in their own homes until their late eighties and early nineties.  I hope to return the favour to my parents one day. 

When it comes to emotional bank accounts in your immediate circle, do you deposit more into your loved ones accounts or do more withdrawals?

Dr. Oz encourages people when they first wake up to do stretching. He also suggests a few minutes of meditation, visioning your day and at  some point in the day, paying gratitude to the good things in your life.  Keeping a gratitude journal sounds corny but it goes hand in hand with your emotional bank account.

The more grateful you are in life, in general the longer you will live.  Regardless of your bank assets.

It takes more effort to do something nice for someone else than it does to make a withdrawal from another.

This weekend, join me in rediscovering your emotional bank account.  Are you happy with the reservoirs you are building with your immediate family and friends?  Is there anything you can do to build up someone else's emotional account?


No comments:

Post a Comment